PKLogo

PKLogo

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

"Water baby bridge"

 Related image
Concord covered bridge Built 1850, Smyrna, GA
 
   Back in my time in Georgia, I had a favorite "haunt". My friends and I would ride out to Smyrna to see the Water Baby bridge. The story goes: Back when the wars were going on in west GA there was a nurse who gave birth to a set of deformed triplets. Being disgusted with how her children looked, she dropped all three children at an orphanage. This orphanage is located on the banks of Nickajack river on the corner before the Old Concord bridge. Now the triplets lived there a several years, and of course the other children were cruel because of how deformed the triplets were. The children lured the triplets down to the bank of the river with promises of candy. When they got there however there was no candy. The children pushed them in and let them drown. Now the legend is you can park your car in the middle of the bridge and put a piece of candy on the top of your car. Once the lights are off you can start to hear the triplets start to climb the bridge and on top of your car to get the candy!
Image result for concord bridge ga
   Now for my experiences here: I heard these stories and of course wanted to investigate for myself. Three friends and myself took the drive out to the bridge on Halloween night.We parked right in the center of the bridge and turned the entire car off. We put a bite size snickers on top of the car. We weren't even waiting for a two full minutes before we started to hear noises and seeing shadows. We heard a big thump on the car and that was our sign to head on out. I started the car and sped out of the bridge. While rounding the corner i took a peak over my should to say something to my friend behind me. As I did, lighted by the passing street lights, I saw a child's hand print on the window. We pulled into a park just a few blocks down from the bridge. As we took a longer look at the hand printed, we realized it was from the outside.
  I have been back to the bridge several times. Even during the day the middle of the bridge is almost as black as night. It probably doesn't help that it is a one lane, old, covered wooden bridge. I have had many experiences there. Some with the candy and some without. It almost never disappointed me when looking for a thrill.
  The very last time I was ever at the bridge had to be the scariest experience ever. It was a normal night, just me and a friend. We pulled through the bridge and turned around so we would be facing the exit. I pulled the car to a stop and shut everything off and rolled down the windows. I was testing my luck. I wanted to see how crazy this could get. I sat there probably a good 10 minutes. Nothing was happening. I couldn't even hear the wind outside of the bridge or the water running under it. A very strange feeling came over my friend and I. Something was not right. I tried to start the car and it wouldn't start. We both at the same exact time had the feeling or urgency to get the out hell of there. Finally, the car started and we took off.
  Going up the hill exiting the bridge there is a sharp turn with another smaller, open bridge to go across (pictured above). As we came speeding out and took the corner to get on that other bridge a huge black figure jumped out at us from the woods and screamed. The shock of it all almost sent me over the railing. I was lucky enough to have control of the car still. It was like nothing I have ever seen or felt before in my life. I have never been back since.

* This bridge is dangerous. It is not abandoned and does have daily traffic all throughout the day.*

No comments:

Post a Comment